True that personality outweighs the appearance, truer is the fact that everybody (well, almost) wants to look appealing. Now, very few of us are blessed with healthy flawless skin, and for the rest of us, there’s makeup to the rescue. But then, who has the time to follow tedious daily makeup routines, and let’s not forget how much damage it might cause our skin in the long run.
So let’s take a step towards trying to achieve a more or less- FLAWLESS skin using DIY face masks. To start off, let’s get rid of those rigid bumpy black dots sitting on our noses, and chin, and EVERYWHERE. So today, Blackhead-Elimination it is.
Here are all the masks you need to get rid of blackheads and prevent them all together using simple ingredients lying around your home. These simple, yet effective masks will not only help you to get rid of blackheads but also treat acne quickly by cleansing your skin pores and eliminating harmful microbes.
Well, blackheads are small, reddish-brown or black bumps that are a result of clogged skin pores. Dead skin cells and oils accumulate in the opening of the skin follicles, producing a bump. If the skin over this bump opens, exposure to the air makes it look black, hence the name blackhead. Squeezing them out is not the best idea as it can lead to inflamed skin, and eventually, scarring.
You must be curious to know why blackheads occur frequently. Here are some factors that increase the chance of developing acne and blackheads on the skin:
- When the skin secretes excess body oil.
- The buildup of Propionibacterium acnes on the skin.
- Irritation of the hair follicles when the dead skin cells are not shed on a regular basis.
- When there are hormonal changes in the body, the skin produces excess oil or sebum.
- Sometimes, the skin releases excess sebum during menstruation, and while taking birth control pills.
- Some blackheads can occur due to a reaction from drugs like corticosteroids, lithium, and androgens.
- Stress can also cause blackheads.
- Sometimes, genetics can cause frequent blackheads.
- If your face is not clean, it can lead to blackheads.
- Certain cosmetics contain a few chemicals that can react with the skin and cause blackheads.
That’s exactly why you are here. Keep reading this article for natural remedies. And if you’re more into quick fixes using off the shelf products, check this review of the best blackhead masks on the market.
- Egg and Honey
- Egg White
- Aloe Vera
- Turmeric and mint juice
- Clay Mask
- Green Tea
- Aspirin Mask
This face mask will not only help prevent blackheads but also protect your skin from getting greasy. Egg white helps in removing the current blackheads and tightening pores. Albumin, a key ingredient present in egg whites, is mainly responsible for this pore-tightening property. Honey is naturally antibacterial and full of antioxidants, so it’s great for acne treatment and prevention.
1 egg white 1 teaspoon honey
- Mix the honey into the egg white and apply the mixture on your face.
- Let it dry. Wash off with warm water.
Repeat this once or twice a week.
Oily skin, combination skin
This is a peel-off mask, thus peeling your face off all the dirt, grease and impurities, including the dreadful blackheads, and leaving you with the goodness of egg whites.
1 egg white, 1-2 tissues, a brush for application
What You Have To Do
- Apply an even coat of the egg whites on your face using a brush.
- Let it sit for a minute.
- Tear off strips of tissue paper, and place it over the layer of egg whites, so as to cover your face with the tissues.
- Apply another layer of egg whites over the tissues, making sure the tissue sticks to your face.
- Let it dry for around 20-25 mins.
- Wash off and pat dry.
Repeat this once a week.
Oily, Combination skin.
Also read, IS USAGE OF TAMPON ALLOWED IN ISLAM?
The antibacterial activity of lemon juice works really well to treat blackheads, whiteheads, and acne. Cinnamon improves the circulation of blood and keeps the skin healthy and glowing. It also tightens pores and delays ageing.
1-2 tablespoons cinnamon powder 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Make a thick paste by mixing the lemon juice with cinnamon powder.
- Apply it to your blackheads on the nose and other parts of the face.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse.
Repeat this three times a week.
Oily skin, combination skin, normal skin
Make sure you do a patch test before using spices on your face to prevent unwanted reactions.
Aloe vera soothes the skin, cleanses pores, and also controls excess oil production. All these, in turn, help you get rid of blackheads, acne and makes your skin healthy inside out.
Fresh aloe vera gel
- Extract fresh gel from an aloe vera leaf.
- Apply this to your face.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
Do this every day for a clearer and smoother skin.
All skin types
Turmeric is considered to be a great healing ingredient. Its key component, curcumin, is antimicrobial in nature and removes the bacteria present in the skin’s pores. Turmeric also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which further improve the texture and health of your skin. Mint juice soothes the skin and is very cooling.
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoons fresh mint juice
- Mix the turmeric with the mint juice to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas and let it dry for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water. Do not forget to moisturize the area.
Repeat this once every week.
Fenugreek is very beneficial for the body, be it through topical application or oral consumption. It consists of powerful antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory and emollient properties. It efficiently clears blackheads and whiteheads from your skin.
1 cup fresh fenugreek leaves
- Grind the fenugreek leaves with enough water to make a smooth paste.
- Apply a thin layer of the paste on the affected areas and let it be.
- Rinse after 10 minutes with lukewarm water.
- Pat dry and apply moisturizer.
You can also use fenugreek seeds instead of the fresh leaves to make the paste.
Use this face pack once a week.
All skin types
Also read, BENEFITS OF HEALTHY EATING AND EXERCISE
Tomato has natural antibacterial properties that dry up blackheads. It also contains lycopene that exerts strong antioxidant effects on the skin and removes all the damage-causing free radicals.
A small tomato
- Take the tomato, peel and mash it, and apply it over the blackheads before going to bed.
- Leave it overnight and then wash it with clean water in the morning.
Do this every night before going to bed.
Oily skin, Combination skin
Dilute the juice with equal parts of water if you have sensitive skin.
Bentonite clay absorbs the impurities from your face and cleans your pores thoroughly, leaving behind a fresh and clean skin. It is also antibacterial in nature. Its regular application will help get rid of blackheads from their roots.
1 tablespoon bentonite clay
- Mix enough water into the clay powder to make a paste of medium consistency.
- Apply this all over your face to eliminate even those deeply embedded blackheads.
- Let the mask dry for 8-10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Pat dry and moisturize as usual.
Apply the mask once or twice a week.
All skin types
If you have sensitive or dry skin, substitute water with raw milk.
Activated charcoal is regular charcoal that has been exposed to a gas in the lab to make it more porous. This increased porosity makes it absorb more amount of impurities from the surroundings and trap them inside. When this mask is applied to the face, the activated charcoal will absorb all the impurities and clear your blackheads very quickly. Glue helps it stick to the skin rigidly to help pull out the blackheads from deep within the pores.
1/2 tbsp or 2 capsules of Activated charcoal
- Take 1/2 tbsp or 2 capsules of activated charcoal in a small bowl.
- Add a medium pump of school glue to it and mix well to form a thick paste.
- Add enough water to make the paste of medium consistency.
- Apply this wherever you have blackheads on your face and let it dry.
- Rinse with warm water. Moisturize as usual.
It is advised to apply this pack once every two weeks.
Oily skin, Combination skin
Sometimes glue can react with sensitive skin. So do a patch test before applying it on to your face. If you sense irritation, use bentonite clay instead of glue.
Green tea is rich in antioxidants which clear up your skin and make it healthy and glowing. It absorbs the impurities and clears blackheads quickly.
1 teaspoon dry green tea leaves
- Mix the tea leaves with a few drops of water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on your face and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water, pat dry and moisturize.
Apply once every week or as required.
All skin types
Strawberries can also remove blackheads. The alkalinity helps to reduce the swelling and cleanse the pores that are blocked. It is a natural exfoliant for the skin. This yummy fruit is also rich in vitamin C, which improves the skin’s dryness and moisturizes it.
1 strawberry, 1/2 teaspoon honey, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Crush the strawberry and add the honey and lemon juice to it.
- Mix well to make a coarse paste.
- Apply this paste on the skin and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
Apply this once in every 10-12 days.
All skin types
Aspirin has anti-inflammatory properties and will reduce the redness and swelling at the blackhead affected area. It removes the dead cells and blackheads. It also reduces the size of the skin pores and helps prevent acne and blackheads in the future.
3-4 aspirin tablets
A few drops of almond oil or lemon juice
- Crush the aspirin tablets and mix with water to make a paste.
- If you have dry skin, add a few drops of almond oil. For oily skin, replace the almond oil with a few drops of lemon juice.
- Apply this to the blackhead affected area and let it dry for 10-12 minutes.
- Rinse with water and moisturize the area.
Apply this mask no more than twice a week.
Best Suited For
All skin types
Make sure you add almond oil or lemon juice based on your skin type. Using oil on the oily skin can lead to acne and using lemon juice on dry skin can dry out the skin further.
Also read, GARNIER ULTRA BLENDS SHAMPOO – REVIEW
Now that you know how to get rid of blackheads using masks you can make naturally in under 5 minutes, what are you waiting for? Go, try them out and then, preach what you practice by sharing this article.