Dandruff is a common problem in both men and women, although it can be an indicator of a serious condition it still isn’t that serious.
Dandruff on hair is just more embarrassing to a person that causes men and women to shy away from this and protect themselves with various accessories like Cap, scarf etc.
But if you are suffering from dandruff, fortunately, there are numerous treatment and this article will be your guide in knowing what exactly dandruff is and how to get rid of it.
Dandruff is seen in all ages, starting from toddlers to elderly. Dandruff that is found to be in infants is popularly known as ‘Cradle Cap’. And dandruff found in teens is given a short word called ‘Druff’.
What is Dandruff?
Dandruff is a skin condition that mainly affects the scalp and as a result, it leads to dry scalp and Seborrhoeic dermatitis which is a long-term skin disorder.
In other words, Dandruff is a scalp condition that is caused by Malassezia, a fungus which feeds on sebum. This fungus feeds on fatty acids and might irritate on the sensitive scalp in many people.
There are a few symptoms of Dandruff that are commonly observed in the population that is prone to dandruff, here are a few signs and symptoms:
- Itchy flakiness that either appears on scalp or eyebrows
- Itchiness also affects on chest, hairline, ears, nose or in the middle part of chest and back.
- Patches of red and greasy on the skin leading to a tingly feeling.
Here is a list of cures that will help you overcome the problem caused due to dandruff:
We start by asking you to use Vinegar as it helps in treating the itchiness, dry skin and finish dandruff that causes fungus and bacteria. Most recommend an apple cider vinegar as the acidic content available in vinegar changes the pH level of your scalp.
- Blend a quarter cup of vinegar with quarter cup water and apply it onto your scalp.
- Let it stay for 15-20 minutes then wash your hair as usual.
Rinse your hair with vinegar for twice a week, for best results.
Also read, HOW TO MAKE YOUR HAIR GROW FASTER
An ingredient which is commonly found in most of the kitchens and is proven effective in cases of getting rid of dandruff. It acts as a scrub and peels of the scalp gently and it does not irritate and removes dead skin cells with ease.
Baking soda can be really effective and should be mixed along with the shampoo and see the benefits. Baking soda reduces fungi which cause dandruff.
Once used on the scalp, this will start producing natural oils, leaving your hair smoother after a few weeks.
Tea Tree Oil
Many recommend using tea tree oil be it in the case of shrinking pores or reducing acne and now killing dandruff from your hair. Tea Tree Oil is known to fight fungal and bacterial infections. Tea Tree Oil keeps your skin healthy and builds a protective layer around the dermis.
- Include few drops of tea tree oil with a shampoo, hence this helps in removing dandruff.
- Wash normally as you do and therefore notice the results quickly.
Also read, Garnier Ultra Blends Shampoo – Review
Garlic has some anti-fungal properties that help in the killing of dandruff-causing of bacteria. Although the smell of garlic can make you make wonder how does it help in curing dandruff, however, the benefits of a raw and crushed garlic can prove to be effective for your hair.
- Crush the garlic and rub it on your scalp
- Hate the smell? Mix it with honey and then apply it
- Wash hair as you normally do and wait for the odour to go.
Aloe Vera is the best remedy to eradicate dandruff as it pectin and polysaccharides that stimulate the cell and allowing them to grow. The number of cleansing enzymes it has, helps in eliminating dandruff and dead skin cell flakes.
- Gently squeeze aloe vera leaf to extract its gel
- Now apply the gel on your hair and wrap it with a warm towel
- Wash it off with shampoo after leaving for few minutes
Like how it works? Try this for thrice a week.
Lemon contains acids that help in balancing the pH level of the scalp and this makes dandruff away from your hair.
- Gently massage two tablespoons of lemon juice on your scalp and then wash it with water
- Now stir one teaspoon of lemon juice into a cup of water and rinse your hair with it along with the shampoo.
Repeating this procedure regularly unless dandruff is completely eliminated from your hair.
Coconut oil helps in stimulating healing as it contains acids such as lauric, capric and caprylic acids. And not just it helps in eliminating dandruff but also reduce hair loss and split ends. Unlike Garlic which has to be mixed with honey to smell good, coconut oil needs no addition.
- Massage 3-5 tablespoons of coconut oil into your scalp
- You can let it stay for an hour or leave it for overnight
- Wash with shampoo as you normally do
There are also shampoos that come with Coconut oil in it, try using them for better results.
Yes, Mouthwash is another such cure to kill dandruff present in your hair. It might sound crazy but mouthwash is still effective in removing yeast infection that causes dandruff.
However, there is no medical evidence to prove it but various people who tried to say this is effective.
- Wash your hair with shampoo as you do regularly
- Now rinse it with an alcohol-based mouthwash
- Follow it up with conditioner to get the best results
Many prefer using shampoos as they are readily available in the market, however, these shampoos that claim to kill dandruff are way costly to buy. Hence the price that these shampoos come with, forces an individual to try the above-mentioned home remedies.
Shampoos might also cause an allergic reaction but we prefer you stick with the shampoo you’ve been using, as sometimes change don’t really help.
If you experience severe itchiness in the dandruff area then consider consulting a dermatologist before taking any further step.